Need space to store data? ITS offers a primary file storage service for departments. This storage is provided through enterprise-class network attached storage (NAS), letting you store and retrieve files from a central location via the FSU network. Simply access the files directly from your computer through a mapped drive. File storage also can control exactly which individuals have access permission, creating drives for users, teams, or the entire department.
- Fully managed | file storage provided via highly redundant EMC Isilon storage array
- SMB protocol | network file storage for Windows operating systems
- Data Snapshots (Backup) | nightly snapshots of file systems are stored centrally and at a secondary location for 30 days
- Centralized storage | files are all stored in a continually accessible central location and are replicated to a second location across campus
- Controlled access | user access and permissions controlled by FSU active directory
- Departments must have reasonably up-to-date network infrastructure, capable of supporting network file transfers and access.
- Active Directory credentials are necessary to access the file storage.
- Departmental IT admin or CTS if department uses CTS for desktop support is responsible for managing drive mappings and other client-side configuration for users.
- Departments must have an internal P.O. to ITS in the OMNI AR/billing system and work with their department budget manager to add a line to that P.O. for ITS File Storage Services for the expected cost. This is required to facilitate billing/charging prior to ordering the service.
- Ordering the service is done via a Service Center support request.
$0.25 per Gigabyte per month
Billing is done monthly in arrears via an internal Purchase Order from the department to ITS
For more information about the auxiliary ordering/billing process, please see http://controller.vpfa.fsu.edu/auxiliary-ar-billing
Costs are based on provisioned space in the fileshare – not on used space.
Should you require retention of snapshots (backups) longer than 30 days, ITS can work with you to achieve that for an additional cost.
Note that although offsite copies of data and snapshots are kept, this service will not be available immediately in case of a disaster that involved loss of the data center. The secondary copies of the data would be available to restore from when suitable replacement infrastructure is made available.