Electronic Mail Policy
See our electronic mail policy for requirements and guidelines associated with email account use and administration.
Email Message Limits
The following limits apply to every Office 365 email message:
- Message size* | Outlook: 150 MB; OWA: 112 MB
- Subject length | 255 characters
- File attachments | 250 attachments
- File attachment size | Outlook: 150 MB; OWA: 35 MB
- Multipart message | 250 parts
- Embedded messages | 30 messages
Emails that exceed these limits will be bounced back to the sender with a "Message Size Violation" error message.
*Individual department email systems may have varying message size limits. Please check with your department on their maximum message size limits.
Email Recipient and Sender Limits
The following limits apply to every Office 365 email account:
- Messages received | 3,600 messages/hour
- Recipient rate | 10,000 recipients/day
- Recipients | 500 recipients
- Message rate | 30 messages/minute
Individuals who exceed these limits may be added to Microsoft's banned senders list, which means they can send email inside the organization, but are prohibited from sending anything outside of FSU. Visit the ITS knowledge base for information on how to request removal from Microsoft's banned senders list.
If your department needs to send emails that exceed the recipient and sender limits, please submit a whitelist request.