The following policies outline procedures that govern interactions with confidential or sensitive information at Florida State University (FSU). These policies are established to strengthen data security and privacy requirements. Periodically, these policies are updated to address technology changes or to comply with new or revised legal or contractual obligations.
It is important to take the time to read the documents and gain an understanding of your role in upholding the policies.
The FSU Information Security Policy establishes a framework of minimum standards and best practices for the security of data and IT resources at the university. The policy applies to:
- All users of university IT resources, whether they are officially affiliated with the university or not, and to all uses of those resources, whether on campus or from remote locations.
- Both university-owned computers, including those purchased with grant funds, and personally-owned or leased computers that connect to the FSU network.
- Individuals who provide system, desktop, network or other IT support, both Information Technology Services (ITS) personnel and campus unit support staff.
- Individuals who partner with FSU to provide or receive services or information; therefore, contracts and agreements must include language whereby the contractor/partner agrees to comply with the FSU Information Security Policy.
The FSU Information Privacy Policies establish a framework of minimum standards and best practices for the protection of protected and private data at the university. The policies apply to all faculty, staff, students, affiliates, prospective students, contractors and sub-contractors and associated parties who interact with FSU systems to processes, transmit or store FSU information on:
- University-owned computing systems, telecommunication systems and network assets
- Personally owned computing/storage devices and telecommunication devices
- Computing, storage, telecommunications or network services procured from third-party vendors including cloud and collocation services