Information Technology Services provides university departments with a wide range of telephone services. In addition to traditional telephone landlines (Centrex), ITS also offers Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone service.
VoIP utilizes modern voicemail technologies that allow calls to be made over a computing network, combining multiple communication platforms into a single, more cost-effective, telephony system.
University departments looking to convert from Centrex to VoIP may submit a request for an estimate. There are many variables to consider, such as:
- Network connectivity to a building
- Condition of the wiring inside a building
- Networking equipment within the building
- Network ownership and management
- Funding for required upgrades
- Funding for new instruments