FSU Launches myFSU Service for Students & Alumni
Information Technology Services (ITS) recently launched an enhanced email, communication and collaboration services platform for students and alumni, which includes popular features such as a 10GB lifetime @my.fsu.edu email account; 7GB of cloud-based file storage; online PC backup/synchronization utilities; online collaboration tools; online MS Office Web Applications; and mobile access to FSU email and more. The new platform, branded myFSU, is the result of an innovative partnership with Microsoft Live@edu that will provide the University with a lifetime communication link to alumni.
Funded in part by the University’s Student Technology Fee, the new my.fsu.edu accounts will gradually replace the University’s current email system (@fsu.edu) for all students and alumni by the end of Fall 2011. ITS will continue to manage the administrative functions of account creation, address assignment; password and directory management.
Students and alumni should begin converting their current @fsu.edu email accounts to the new myFSU platform by going to http://fsu.edu/myFSU. Questions regarding myFSU account activation can be answered by calling 644-HELP(4357) or visiting help.fsu.edu.
Summary of myFSU platform features:
- Windows Live SkyDrive will provide 7GB of password protected online storage for files. Ability to create private, shared, and public folders within SkyDrive. Store documents online and access from any computer without using email, flash drives, etc.
- Email Mobility provides access to myFSU services directly from mobile phone. Functionality is included for any ActiveSync capable telephone, native support for Apple iPhone’s, as well as support for other devices through traditional POP/IMAP connections.
- Multiple browser support including Apple’s Safari, Firefox, and, of course, Internet Explorer.
- Email organization features in the form of “conversation” view.
- Integration of email and instant messaging through Microsoft Office Communicator or Windows Live Messenger.
- Live Mesh – file synchronization / backup
- Microsoft Web Applications